Hark! The music has jingle bells and theaters have prestige. It’s time for Holiday Season Movie Gifts.
This is an invitation to all Solutors – regulars, irregulars, lurkers alike – to join an easy movie recommendation exchange. This time around the theme is even looser than normal so feel free to invite other online friends to join.
What It Is
You “give” a movie to someone – meaning you will recommend a title to watch. You will also receive a “gift” – i.e. a recommendation for a movie for you to watch. On Unwrapping Day , watch for the Movie Gifts article and post your thoughts on the film that was gifted to you – it can be as elaborate as an essay or as simple as a “Thanks.” Here are the previous unwrapping threads to give some idea of how people responded but there’s no set way for doing it.
Just 3 Rules
- Nobody needs to spend money. When you sign up, put down what services (e.g. Netflix, Amazon, Kanopy, strong library collection) you have or prefer and try to work within your recipient’s preferences when making your recommendation.
- You may “return” your title. If you’ve already seen the film given to you, have no (reasonable) way of seeing the film or you have a visceral objection or trigger concern around watching it, you can “return” it and request another title from your giver. You do not have to give a reason but please don’t do a return just because you don’t think you’ll like it – this is a good opportunity to branch out.
- Commit to watching your gift. Pretty please. Because of the way the (American) holidays are scrunched together this year, there may be some extra time for watching the gift over the month. Last time was the first time we didn’t have a 100% completion rate but I know we’ll bounce back this time around!
Holiday Cheer. If you want an idea as a jumping off point: Spread Some Holiday Cheer. Give a film that makes you happy or that you use to cheer yourself up. Does Seven Brides for Seven Brothers put a smile on your face? Do you feel better about life after Jiro Dreams of Sushi? Does Robocop blow your blues away? Use this theme as much as it helps to come up with a title or ignore it entirely.
How to Participate
Simply state “I’m in!” below and your watching preferences if any. I’ll keep updating below with everybody who’s in – make sure your name is in that list by next week. Next will come an article with the (randomly drawn) order of gifting.
- Monday, December 9: All participants signed up by this day. Gifting list will be posted in its own article. Under this article is where we will give and receive our gifts. Please be prompt about giving your gift in case it needs to be returned. Please post an acceptance when you’ve received your gift so I know you’re good to go.
- Friday, December 13: All gifts finalized. Working out a good Unwrapping Day but traditionally you’ll have at least two weekends to watch your gift.
- Tuesday, January 7: Unwrapping Day! An article will be posted in the morning for everybody to leave their comments on the film they were given.
FAQ (updated as needed)
Am I supposed to give something I know the other person will like? Or something I want to inflict upon them?
Short answer: however you want to approach it. Personally, I’ll try and tailor my rec to the person I’m giving to if I can but, much like the theme, it’s optional. The only real idea is giving a recommendation that has to be taken. Whether you’re naughty or nice is up to you.
I don’t usually post in the daily threads / I know someone who doesn’t post here. Can I / they participate?
Absolutely! So long as you’ll watch the gift and post your reaction, we’re happy to have you.
How is the order chosen? Will I give to the same person I receive from?
The order is determined by random drawing from the Ploughman’s amazing hat. You will receive from someone and give to another. The only time I override the wishes of the hat is to keep someone from giving to the same person as they did in another Movie Gifting.
I want to join but I don’t know if I will be available on Unwrapping Day!
No problem – you can post your unwrapping later in the day or have someone post your comment on your behalf that morning (indicate your need to do this in your sign-up post).
If you don’t see your name here and you want to be a part of this, make sure to say so in the comments below (tag me [@The Ploughman] if necessary)! Remember – this is NOT the gifting order. That will be posted in a separate article.
The Ploughman, The Narrator, Lo-Res Triangle of +1 Charisma, wallflower, vomas, Ruck Cohlchez, Son of Griff, Jake Gittes, thesplitsaber, Gillianren, Drunk Napoleon, Babalugats, Rosy Fingers, scb0212, Miller, mr_apollo, pico, John Bruni, DJ JD, clytie, Ben, Cornelius Thoroughgood, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Man with a robot arm, ZoeZ, Dripping Yellow Madness