Join us as we celebrate/mourn the birth/death of The Dissolve, a website that gave a platform to thoughtful film criticism and fostered a community of like-minded pop culture enthusiasts. We mourn the brief life of a site we humbly call our progenitor, even as we celebrate that it never had to experience the ravages of time visited upon Grandpa AV.
But you don’t have to have any idea what that paragraph means to enjoy giving and receiving movies! Get details below and sign up in the comments.
What It Is
You “give” a movie to someone – meaning you will recommend a title to watch. You will also receive a “gift” – i.e. a recommendation for a movie for you to watch. On Unwrapping Day, watch for the Movie Gifts article and post your thoughts on the film that was gifted to you – it can be as elaborate as an essay or as simple as a “Thanks.” Here are the last two unwrapping threads to give some idea of how people responded but there’s no set way for doing it.
Just 3 Rules
- Nobody needs to spend money. When you sign up, put down what services (e.g. Netflix, Amazon, Kanopy, strong library collection) you have or prefer and try to work within your recipient’s preferences when making your recommendation.
- You may “return” your title. If you’ve already seen the film given to you, have no (reasonable) way of seeing the film or you have a visceral objection or trigger concern around watching it, you can “return” it and request another title from your giver. You do not have to give a reason but please don’t do a return just because you don’t think you’ll like it – this is a good opportunity to branch out.
- Commit to watching your gift. This falls apart if the gifts aren’t watched. Block out the two-ish hours it takes to watch the movie and write up a little response. You’ll have a decent amount of time (including two weekends) before the unwrapping date so this shouldn’t be a problem.
Your Time. Share something that takes you to the prime of your life (so far). Give a title that describes the time when you came of age, the time you got into movies or just an era of your life you’d like to share. This could be a movie made or that takes place in that time or a movie you associate with that time. Make some whippersnapper get immersed in the disco heyday of Can’t Stop the Music. Enlighten some geezer about the importance of Harriet the Spy. Maybe you watched Metropolis all the time when you were a kid. Maybe you associate The Last Picture Show with that crazy summer after high school.
Use this theme only as it helps come up with a recommendation, discard it if you have a better idea what to give the person.
How to Participate
Simply state “I’m in!” below and your watching preferences if any (I’ll keep updating a comment below that has a list of everybody who’s in – make sure your name is in that comment by the end of the week). Next will come an article with the (randomly drawn) order of gifting
- Tuesday, June 18: All participants signed up by this day. Gifting list will be posted in its own article. Under this article is where we will give and receive our gifts. Please be prompt about giving your gift in case it needs to be returned. Please post an acceptance when you’ve received your gift so I know you’re good to go.
- Monday, June 24: All gifts finalized. You will have at least two weeks to watch your gift – but save posting your thoughts for the unwrapping.
- Wednesday, July 10: Unwrapping Day! An article will be posted in the morning for everybody to leave their comments on the film they were given.
FAQ (updated as needed)
Am I supposed to give something I know the other person will like? Or something I want to inflict upon them?
Short answer: however you want to approach it. Personally, I’ll try and tailor my rec to the person I’m giving to but, much like the theme, it’s optional. The only real idea is giving a recommendation that has to be taken. Whether you use this power for good or evil is up to you and your conscience.
I don’t usually post in the daily threads / I know someone who doesn’t post here. Can I / they participate?
Absolutely! So long as you’ll watch the gift and post your reaction, we’re happy to have you.
How is the order chosen? Will I give to the same person I receive from?
The order is determined by random drawing from the Ploughman’s amazing hat. You will receive from someone and give to another. The only time I override the wishes of the hat is to keep someone from giving to the same person as they did in another Movie Gifting.
I want to join but I don’t know if I will be available on Unwrapping Day!
No problem – you can post your unwrapping later in the day or have someone post your comment on your behalf that morning (indicate your need to do this in your sign-up post).
How much of this article is copy/paste from the last one?
About 90% probably. 89% if you count this last question.
If you don’t see your name here and you want to be a part of this, make sure to say so in the comments below (tag me [@The Ploughman] if necessary)! Remember – this is NOT the gifting order. That will be posted in a separate article.
The Ploughman, Conor Malcolm Crockford, wallflower, Miller, Balthazar Bee, Son of Griff, The Narrator, Cliffy73, scb0212, Glorbes, pico, Babalugats, CineGain, Jake Gittes, Rosy Fingers, vomas, Julius Kassendorf, Jroberts548, DJJD, ZoeZ, defenseagainstthedarkarts, clytie, John Bruni, Cookie Monster, Drunk Napoleon, A Talking Banana!?!